Chemoprevention of colon cancer: a systematic review of aberrant crypt foci and tumor data in rats.
Clik here to go back to main page & database
Abbreviations used in ACF and tumor tables
ACF, aberrant crypt foci.
MTD: maximum tolerated dose.
mcr: µ (mu letter not displayed by all softwares)
- ! - : Caution! too small number of ACF or tumors in the control group: inacurate potency.
- * - Not ACF but MDF: Mucin Depleted Foci, or BCAC: Beta-Catenin-Accumulated Crypts
- + - Study not reported in the original 2002 & 2003 publications (e.g., Category: NSAI+)
Below, abbreviations of: Chemopreventive agents, Carcinogens, Rodents, Classes.
5-ASA: 5-aminosalicylic acid.
BB: Bowman-Birk (BBPI, BB protease inhibitor, from soybean).
BseSG: benzyl selenocyanate glutathione conjugate.
CAI: carboxyl amidoimidazole.
CAPE: caffeic acid phenethyl ester
CLA: conjugated linoleic acid.
COX-2 inh.: cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitor.
DHA: docosahexaenoic acid (a long chain omega-3, or n-3, polyunsaturated fatty acid)
DSS: dextran sodium sulfate.
EGF: epidermal growth factor.
EKB & EKI, newly developed, irreversible inhibitor of the EGF receptor kinase.
EPA: eicopentaenoic acid.
MMP inh.: matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor.
MMTS: S-methyl methane thiosulfonate.
NOS: inducible nitric oxide synthase.
PEG: polyethylene glycol.
PEITC: phenethyl isothiocyanate.
PgEP1 ant.: prostaglandin E receptor E1 antagonist (ONO-8711 or 8713).
PgEP4 ant.: prostaglandin E receptor E4 antagonist (ONO-AE2-227)
PPITC: phenylpropyl isothiocyanate.
PSK: protein-bound polysaccharide PSK.
TGF-B1: transforming growth factor beta 1.
vit.D3-6Fl RO24: 1 alpha,25-Dihydroxy-16-ene-23-yne-26,27-hexafluorocholecalciferol.
Carcinogens & co-carciongens
dmabp: 3,2 '-dimethyl-4-aminobiphenyl.
DCA: deoxycholic acid.
DSS: dextran sodium sulfate.
MAM: methylazoxymethanol acetate.
MNG: methyl N-nitroso guanidine.
MNU: methyl nitroso urea.
PhIP: 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b] pyridine.
TNBS: trinitrobenzenesulfonic acid.
Rodents' species, strain and gender
Species, strain and gender are shown as a three-digit code, e.g., R f ' = Rats Fischer 334 male.
Rats (gender: ', male; ", female)
Ra, ACI/N rats;
Rb, BDIX rats;
Rc, CD rats;
Rd, Donryu rats;
Rf, Fischer 344 rats;
Rl, LIO rats;
Rr, Charles River rats;
Rs, Sprague Dawley rats;
Rw, Wistar rats;
Rz, Zucker fa/fa obese rats;
R6, DB6 rats;
Mice (gender: ', male; ", female)
Mb, Balb/c mice;
Mc, C57B/6J mice;
Md, CD1 mice;
Mf, CF1 mice;
Mi, ICR mice;
Ml, high leptin C57BL/KsJ-db/db obese mice;
Mq, IQI/jic mice;
Ms, SW mice;
M6, B6C3F1 mice;
Mv, FVB/N mice;
Min: multiple intestinal neoplasia
Apc: adenomatous polyposis coli gene
Category, or classes of agents
- /NH2: amine modulators and difluoromethylornithine (DFMO);
- /NO: iNOS inhibitors and NO modulators
- combi: combination of two pure agents from different categories;
- fat: lipids, oils, fatty acids.;
- fibact: dietary fibers and probiotic bacteria;
- minerals: calcium and other salts;
- NSAI and NSAID: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., aspirin)
- NSAI/2: NSAID with specific anti-COX2 activity (e.g., celecoxib);
- PEG: polyethylene glycol and related PEG-like polymers;
- phyto.: pytochemicals (pure chemical) and plants,
- vit.Ad: vitamins A, D and retinoids;
- HAA: heterocyclic aromatic amine (e.g., PhIP);
- Ppar: PPAR, peroxisome proliferator activated receptor;
Clik here to go back to main page
Corpet DE & Taché S, 2002, Nutrition & Cancer - & - DE Corpet & F Pierre, 2003, Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prevention - chemoprevention of colorectal cancer & Mirror site